Ghost rooms are parts of the investigation area where evidence is most commonly found. Those can be limited to whole rooms of a building, but can also include hallways, stairwells, enclosed areas, campsite tents, etc. Ghosts may leave their room while hunting or simply being more active due to a player's decreasing sanity, but in general, their activity will remain confined to it.
Finding the ghost room in itself is not an objective found on the Objective Board, however it simplifies the task of identifying the type of ghost correctly and allows players to gain photo rewards more quickly. The ghost room remains the same per each game on all difficulty levels except for Professional and Nightmare.
Every time a map is loaded in, an area will be randomly selected to be the ghost room. The ghost room is relevant for the following behaviour:
- The ghost will spawn in the ghost room at the start of the contract;
- The ghost will teleport to the ghost room at the end of every hunt;
- The ghost will roam back to the room after certain actions;
- Ghost Orbs, if the ghost has the evidence, will be present in only the ghost room;
- The Haunted Mirror will show a view of the ghost room.
On Professional and Nightmare difficulties, the ghost room will occasionally change. Based on the existing room, one of several rooms nearby will be randomly selected as the new ghost room. This is tied to sanity, with lower average sanities making the ghost change its ghost room more often. The ghost room plays a lesser role once the type of ghost has been identified correctly and will usually serve as reference for player activity during hunts.
Ghost's current location/room
Ghosts may roam out of the ghost room into another room without changing the ghost room. The following behaviour relates to the ghost's current position:
- Ghosts will interact with objects in a certain radius around itself.
- Ghosts always start a hunt from its current position.
- Ghosts can initiate ghost events if the player is within range of the ghost.
- Ghosts with the Spirit Box evidence will respond if the player is in the same room as the ghost, and/or within 3 metres.
- Temperatures change depending on the ghost's current room.
- Ouija Board responses will always give the ghost's current room, not the ghost room.
Definition of rooms
For all maps, the investigation area will be bounded by physical barriers and one or more exit. The ghost can only be present within the investigation area; the ghost cannot exit or spawn outside the investigation area. For Maple Lodge Campsite, there is one exit through the wooden gates, and the ghost(s) may be present in the cabin or anywhere within the campsite boundaries. For all other maps, only indoor areas are considered "rooms" or part of a room; this includes hallways and corridors.
Some maps have corridors or hallways which cannot be chosen as the ghost room. The ghost can still wander through these rooms, provide evidences in these rooms, interact with items in or around the room, and spawn in these rooms during hunts or manifestations, but Ghost Orbs cannot be present in these rooms, and the ghost will not teleport to these rooms after a hunt.
The maps with such rooms are:
- All hallways and staircases (except the Lobby and Telephones rooms)
- All hallways of both floors (except the Lobby room)
- Main hallway (the entire stretch connecting both prison blocks up to the metal bars segregating the hallway and the cell blocks, as well as the attached staircase)
- Second floor corridor (the corridor connecting both staircases)
All other maps' corridors, including outdoor paths within the investigation area in Maple Lodge Campsite, can be chosen as a ghost room.
Mechanic-wise, rooms may be segmented differently for the ghost than what is visually perceived by players. Rooms separated by walls may be merged to be considered as one room, while rooms that are not separated by walls may actually be considered multiple rooms. The Ouija Board's answers to the ghost's current location, as well as the location of Ghost Orbs, are dependent on these defined boundaries of each room.
Rooms not separated by visible walls
Some rooms that may seem like a single room are actually broken down into multiple rooms with no obvious visual barrier. For example:
- The Kitchen and Dining Room in Bleasdale Farmhouse are actually two different rooms despite no wall or barrier visually separating them.
- The hallways on each level of Brownstone High School are broken down into three separate sections consisting of the left, front, and right sections.
- In Ridgeview Road House, upon first entering the house, what appears to be one room actually consists of three different rooms: The Foyer, Dining Room and Living Room.
- In Maple Lodge Campsite, the outdoor paths and tenting areas are split up into several "rooms" not including the tents themselves.
Rooms composed of multiple walled rooms
Some Ghost Rooms actually consist of two or more visually-distinct, walled rooms connected by doorways. For example:
- Nearly all smaller bathrooms or storage rooms that are attached to a larger bedroom are considered as part of the same room as the bathroom, except for the Grafton Farmhouse storage (which is bigger than the connected bedroom).
- In Edgefield Street House, the "Basement" room consists of both the hallway and the attached storage room.
- In Brownstone High School, each Science Class Room (i.e. Science Class Room 1, 2, 3, and 4) is a room that consists of two rooms separated by a wall and a door.
- On the Prison's second floor, the Infirmary as a room actually consists of the two rooms that contain medical beds.
In any Ghost Room that consists of two or more walled rooms, any Ghost Orbs, Freezing Temperatures, or other evidence may appear in any of the walled rooms and the ghost can spawn for hunts in any of these rooms. This is is important to know, for example, in order to complete the crucifix objective.
- As the Ghost Room or the current location of the ghost can be a corridor, hallway or large room, there may be difficulties for the players especially when it comes to the accurate use of equipment such as crucifixes and smudge sticks.
- Except for the three large maps, all maps that feature stairways connect them to the room below, e.g. the Basement room will include the whole stairway when it is selected as Ghost Room. The Grafton Farmhouse Attic, however, will not include the stairway as it is located above the access point.
|Car Alarm • Exit Door • Fuse Box • Ghost Room • Key • Sink • Van|