Ghosts are the main focus of Phasmophobia. A ghost is the incorporeal spiritual essence of a dead person that lingers on Earth, often having been killed from sudden and violent deaths. It is the main objective of the player(s) to enter and explore abandoned haunted locations to gather evidence and search for Ghost Activity and come to a conclusion about a Ghost's presence and classification. Ghosts will not remain passive and, once agitated or threatened, will begin initiating Hunts in which they become corporeal, seeking out to kill any player they can find. Ghosts feed off of players' Sanity, draining it and making them more likely to Hunt. During a hunt a ghost will flash, appearing for 0.08 to 0.3 seconds every 0.3 to 1 seconds (except Phantoms which only appear every 1 to 2 seconds).
It is important to note that certain phenomena often isn't limited to one single type of Ghost. For example, all Ghosts can make dirty water appear in sinks and can throw objects around in a room. However, certain Ghosts are more likely to exhibit certain behaviors than others; a Poltergeist will be more likely to throw objects and can affect several at once, and a Jinn will oftentimes interact with electronics such as telephones and lights. Also, no singular Ghost Model is tied to a type of Ghost, meaning that their appearance should not be used to judge the type of Ghost.
Ghost will have a randomly generated unique identity consisting of gender, name, death length, age, shyness, favorite room, and a physical model that is determined at level start.
- 1 Types of Ghosts
- 2 Evidence
- 3 Random Characteristics
Types of Ghosts
A Spirit is the most common Ghost you will come across, but it is still very powerful and dangerous. It is usually discovered at one of its hunting grounds after an unexplained death. It has no special strengths. Smudge sticks affect Spirits by preventing them from hunting for about three minutes.
A Wraith is one of the most dangerous ghosts you will find. It is the only known Ghost that has the ability of flight, and has sometimes been known to see through doors and go through walls. Salt is toxic to a Wraith.
A Phantom is a fear-inducing ghost, quickly draining the sanity of those who view it. Taking a picture of it will make it disappear temporarily. Although rumored to possess the living, it has no ability to actually do so. It is said to be commonly summoned by a Ouija Board, although players cannot summon one themselves, nor does a Phantom's presence guarantee that a Ouija Board will spawn.
One of the most famous ghosts, a Poltergeist, also known as a noisy ghost, can manipulate multiple objects around it to spread fear into its victims.
Banshees are described as natural hunters. They will attempt to slowly stalk and pick off ghost hunters one by one by selectively targeting one investigator at a time. Banshees fear the Crucifix, increasing its effectiveness against them.
A Jinn is a territorial ghost that will attack when threatened. It has also been known to be able to travel at high speeds, and will do so while hunting distant paranormal investigators. However, cutting off power via the Fuse Box will limit its speed.
The source of all nightmares, a Mare is a ghost that grows more aggressive in the dark. Keeping the lights on and remaining out of dark areas will limit its aggression. Beware, as it will also attempt to turn the lights off to empower itself.
A Revenant is a violent ghost that can attack indiscriminately, as it is capable of switching its current target mid-hunt. Hiding from it will cause it to move slowly, but it will travel faster than any other Ghost in the game if a victim is in its sights.
A Shade is considered to be a "shy ghost”. While it is harder to find evidence while investigators remain in groups, a Shade is far less likely to attack if there are multiple people nearby.
A Demon is one of the worst ghosts to encounter. Being highly aggressive, it will attack more often than any other Ghost, so a crucifix is recommended to prevent Hunts. However, asking the demon successful questions from the Ouija Board will not drain the player's sanity.
A Yurei is a ghost whose ability increases the passive drain of a player's sanity (Although most ghosts drain your sanity rather quickly). Smudging the room a Yurei was found in will prevent it from wandering from the location for a long time.
An Oni is an aggressive ghost who scales its activity level with the number of nearby investigators. This is its greatest weakness, as it will likely reveal itself early in the round. It is also likely to wander around near the Ghost Room.
Please see Evidence or a Ghost's page for detailed information about identifying different ghost types.
|👻Ghost||🥶Freezing||🚥EMF 5||✨ Orbs||📟 Spirit Box||🕮Writing||🖐️ Fingerprints||👻Ghost|
The table above can be sorted by any column. It can then be sorted by a second column without making the first column go out of order (by holding down the shift key). This extends to consecutively sorting three or more columns.
Identifying Traits of Ghosts
The following traits may help to identify the ghost:
- If there is evidence of Fingerprints and Ghost Orbs then it must be a Poltergeist; the third piece of evidence, Spirit Box, is not needed. Poltergeist are the only ghost that can be identified by only two pieces of evidence.
- Jinn tend to interact with electronics (e.g. phones, radios, light switches, TVs, car alarms) more frequently than any other ghost. Being within 3 meters of a Jinn can instantly decrease your Sanity by 25%.
- Mare tend to turn lights, and especially the fuse box, off more than any other ghost. What distinguishes it the most from other ghosts is that it rarely turns lights, and especially the fuse box, back on. If the ghost switches lights, and especially the fuse box, back on then it is much more likely to be a Poltergeist or Jinn.
- If the ghost (1) never speaks on the Spirit box, and (2) it never gives EMF Level 5, then it must be a Yurei.
- Drain sanity 2x faster than other ghosts when they are looked upon.
- Taking a photo of a Phantom will make it temporarily disappear (but not stop a hunt).
- During a hunt, a phantom will flash visible every 1 to 2 seconds as opposed to every 0.3 to 1 seconds for other Ghosts.
- Oni are more active when people are nearby. They are more likely than other ghosts to move objects at great speed.
- Shades rarely perform actions in the presence of 2+ people. It will also not initiate a Hunt if this is the case.
- Demons hunt more frequently than other ghosts. This is less useful as a distinguishing feature if all players' Sanities are very low.
- Footstep walking sounds from a Wraith are rare to non-existent.
- If a Hunt starts very soon after the Setup Phase has finished (this depends on the Difficulty) and at a time when all players have high Sanity, then this may indicate a Banshee.
- A Banshee will target only a player at a time until that player is dead, with all other players being ignored. So if the Ghost ignores players that are much closer to it than its target, then this may indicate a Banshee.
- A Banshee will teleport to its target at the start of a Hunt, no matter how far away its target is from the Ghost Room. So the Ghost appearing close to a player that is far away from the Ghost Room may indicate a Banshee, especially if this happens repeatedly to only one player.
These characteristics are not dependent on the type of ghost, but are randomized for every ghost.
There is about a 50/50 chance of the Ghost being either male or female each time you begin a contract.
The length of death of a Ghost is a randomly generated number between 50 and 1000 years.
The age of the Ghost is a randomly generated number between 5 and 90 years.
Whether a Ghost is shy or not determines how it behaves around multiple players. If a Ghost is indicated as shy, it will only respond to people who are alone.
The name of the Ghost consists of a name and a surname. Their first name is determined randomly by their gender, unlike their surname. Speaking the Ghost's full name aloud via local push-to-talk will alert the Ghost and cause it to attack more frequently. It is not recommended to say their names multiple times, especially in a room with any noticeable evidence or proof that one is nearby. Some ghosts, however, are more likely to kill you instantly when you say their name with low sanity.
Possible Male Names
Possible Female Names