The Spirit Box is a piece of Equipment, as well as a type of Evidence, that can be used to ask the Ghost questions to get more information. Only certain Ghosts will respond via the Spirit Box, which can be used as Evidence when identifying the Ghost.
How to Use
To get a Spirit Box response from the ghost, the following is required:
- You must either be in the same room as the Ghost, or else be within 3 meters of it if not in the same room.
- The lights in the room must be off; this does not include Flashlights or UV lights/glowsticks, which may remain on. If the player and ghost are in the same room, lights in other rooms (including rooms or hallways that are directly adjacent) may be left on, and any doors between the rooms can stay open.
- Shy ghosts will additionally require you to be the only person in the room, but they will sometimes respond when a group is entering a room due to initially only detecting one player.
- Additionally, a ghost that has Spirit Box as evidence may not respond to it until later in the game, or possibly not at all (although this is relatively rare).
The Spirit Box will work if thrown on the ground as long as it is left on and you are within range to ask questions and hear the responses. Sometimes Ghosts may respond to Spirit Boxes placed on the ground without players directly trying to get a response with voice commands. While Ghosts can hear when you are talking no matter what, you must be using proximity chat for the Spirit Box to hear you.
If the Ghost has Spirit Box as a valid evidence, it has a 2/3 chance to respond. This chance can increase when you anger the Ghost by saying its name.
It is recommended that the Spirit Box be tested as soon as the Ghost Room has been found because this minimizes the risk that the Ghost will start a hunt while the player is testing the spirit box (which must take place near the ghost, in the dark, and possibly also all alone).
Types of Questions
You'll know the Spirit Box is working if, after turning it on and talking into it, a prompt reading "Nothing Detected" appears, the Ghost responds to your question, or if the prompt shows what the ghost has said. If neither of these three things happens, it is possible that your microphone is not working or you did not ask one of the supported questions.
If your voice recognition is properly working, it is a requirement to ask a supported question, as the ghost will not respond to just talking normally.
These are some possible answers: Spirit box answers.
There are four types of questions you can ask:
- Personal (Unused)
- "What do you want?"
- "Why are you here?"
- "Do you want to hurt us?"
- "Are you angry?"
- "Do you want us here?"
- "Shall we leave?"
- "Should we leave?"
- "Do you want us to leave?"
- "What should we do?"
- "Can we help?"
- "Is anything wrong?"
- ”Are you friendly?”
- "Where are you?"
- "Are you close?"
- "Can you show yourself?"
- "Give us a sign."
- "Let us know you are here."
- "Show yourself."
- "Can you talk?"
- "Speak to us."
- "Are you here?"
- "Are you with us?"
- "Anybody with us?"
- "Is anyone here?"
- "Anybody in the room?"
- "Anybody here?"
- "Is there a spirit here?"
- "Is there a Ghost here?"
- "What is your location?"
If you are within 4 meters of the Ghost, the Ghost will give you a random response for how near it is. If you are further than 4 meters away, the Ghost will give you a random response for how far it is.
- "How old are you?"
- "How young are you?"
- "What is your age?"
- "When were you born?"
- "Are you a child?"
- "Are you old?"
- "Are you young?"
It will respond directly how old and who they are.
Personal questions (Unused)
- "Are you a girl?"
- "Are you a boy?"
- "Are you male?"
- "Are you female?"
- "Who are you?"
- "What are you?"
- "Who is this?"
- "Who are we talking to?"
- "Who am I talking to?"
- "What is your name?"
- "Can you give me your name?"
- "What is your gender?"
- "What gender?"
- "Are you male or female?"
- "Are you a man?"
- "Are you a woman?
- No responses were found in the game data.
- "Are you Casper?"
- "Are you horny?"
- Random response.
- If you activate the Spirit Box and drop it, and then proceed to pick it up with another item held out, it will mute the static noise and keep the Spirit Box on.
- Sometimes a Spirit Box will completely fail, even if you are asking a supported question and have a working microphone. Picking up another Spirit Box can help.
- Before the December 11th update of 2020, it was possible for the Spirit Box to receive a response from the ghost no matter how far it was, as long as the player was near the ghost when asked a supported question.
|Demon||Spirit Box||Freezing Temperatures||Ghost Writing|
|Jinn||Spirit Box||EMF Level 5||Ghost Orb|
|Mare||Spirit Box||Freezing Temperatures||Ghost Orb|
|Oni||Spirit Box||EMF Level 5||Ghost Writing|
|Poltergeist||Spirit Box||Fingerprints||Ghost Orb|
|Spirit||Spirit Box||Fingerprints||Ghost Writing|
|Wraith||Spirit Box||Fingerprints||Freezing Temperatures|
|Ghost Orb • Spirit Box • Fingerprints • EMF Level 5 • Freezing Temperatures • Ghost Writing|
(Starter Equipment is in bold italics)
|Purchasable Equipment:||Candle • Crucifix • EMF Reader • Flashlight (regular) • Ghost Writing Book • Glow Stick • Head Mounted Camera • Infrared Light Sensor • Lighter • Motion Sensor • Parabolic Microphone • Photo Camera • Salt Shaker • Sanity Pills • Spirit Box • Smudge Sticks • Sound Sensor • Strong Flashlight • Thermometer • Tripod • UV Flashlight • Video Camera|
|Van Equipment:||Objective Board • Sanity Monitor • Site Activity Monitor • Site Map|
|Onsite Equipment:||Bone Evidence • Ouija Board • Voodoo Doll|