"Only certain ghosts will talk through a Spirit Box when asked a question with your voice. Make sure the lights are off."
The Spirit Box is a piece of equipment used to find Spirit Box evidence. It creates white noise by constantly cycling through various radio frequencies, which allows the ghost to communicate with players.
To get a Spirit Box response from the ghost, the following is required:
- The player must be in the investigation area. For Maple Lodge Campsite, this means going past the wooden gates into the campgrounds, while for all other maps this means being indoors.
- The player must either be in the same room as the ghost, or within 3 meters of it if not in the same room.
- The lights in the player's current room must be off. Light emitted from equipment, including electronic and non-electronic equipment, does not affect this. Lights in other rooms, including rooms or hallways that are directly adjacent, may be left on, and any doors between the rooms can stay open. Bedside lamps do not have to be turned off.
- Ghosts noted to respond only to "people who are alone" (this is indicated in Amateur and Intermediate difficulties on the white board and in the journal) will respond only if there is a single person in the room at the moment the question is asked. If the ghost is noted to respond to everyone, the number of people in the room does not affect the ghost's ability to respond.
A microphone icon on the top left of the Spirit Box's screen will indicate whether or not the Spirit Box is ready to receive microphone input; this will light up based on the player's voice chat settings. When a phrase is successfully registered, the Spirit Box will return one of two results:
- If the "X" icon displays, either the ghost does not have Spirit Box as one of its evidences, or one or more of the conditions listed above have not been met despite Spirit Box being one of the ghost's evidences.
- Alternatively, if all the relevant conditions are met, the ghost has a 2/3 chance to respond per phrase. If successful, the ghost icon will display, and a corresponding voice response will be heard through the spirit box. If the player is particularly unlucky, the ghost may simply decide to not respond (showing an "X"), despite having the Spirit Box as one of its evidence.
If neither of these two results happen, it is possible the game did not recognize any valid phrase, or the player's voice recognition is not working properly. Note that whether the microphone icon is lit has no relation to whether the player's microphone is actually working or not; it merely represents whether the game itself is ready to receive any input.
If no microphone input is detected or voice recognition is not working, the Spirit Box will automatically attempt to obtain a response about every 10 seconds while the microphone icon is lit; voice chat needs to be active. The Spirit Box will select an answer for one of the three question types if the conditions listed above are met.
- It is recommended that the Spirit Box be tested as soon as the ghost room has been found to avoid the ghost starting a hunt near the player, as the player using the Spirit Box must be very close, in the dark, and possibly alone.
- When checking for Spirit Box evidence in Professional and Nightmare difficulties, it is usually better to leave only one person at a time asking questions, as it would initially be unknown whether it only responds to people who are alone.
|Deogen||Spirit Box||D.O.T.S. Projector||Ghost Writing|
|Mare||Spirit Box||Ghost Orb||Ghost Writing|
|Moroi||Spirit Box||Freezing Temperatures||Ghost Writing|
|Onryo||Spirit Box||Freezing Temperatures||Ghost Orb|
|Phantom||Spirit Box||D.O.T.S. Projector||Fingerprints|
|Poltergeist||Spirit Box||Fingerprints||Ghost Writing|
|Spirit||Spirit Box||EMF Level 5||Ghost Writing|
|The Mimic||Spirit Box||Fingerprints||Freezing Temperatures|
|The Twins||Spirit Box||EMF Level 5||Freezing Temperatures|
|Wraith||Spirit Box||D.O.T.S. Projector||EMF Level 5|
|Yokai||Spirit Box||D.O.T.S. Projector||Ghost Orb|
- Deogen has a chance to respond with heavy breathing instead of a regular response if the player is standing in a small radius near it.
- Moroi has a chance to curse any players in the vicinity whenever a response is obtained from it on the spirit box.
Types of Questions
There are three types of questions that can be asked:
Aggression questions always have a murderous response.
Location questions indicate if the ghost is near the player or far away.
Age questions give you a response based on the predetermined age of the ghost chosen when the level begins (note that the Ghost Model is randomized and therefore unaffected by this).
- "What do you want?"
- "Why are you here?"
- "Do you want to hurt us?"
- "Are you angry?"
- "Do you want us here?"
- "Shall we leave?"
- "Should we leave?"
- "Do you want us to leave?"
- "What should we do?"
- "Can we help?"
- "Is anything wrong?"
- "Are you friendly?"
The response you get from these questions depends on how far you are from the ghost and if they are in your current room or in a room adjacent.
- "Where are you?"
- "Are you close?"
- "Can you show yourself?"
- "Give us a sign."
- "Let us know you are here."
- "Show yourself."
- "Can you talk?"
- "Speak to us."
- "Are you here?"
- "Are you with us?"
- "Anybody with us?"
- "Is anyone here?"
- "Anybody in the room?"
- "Anybody here?"
- "Is there a spirit here?"
- "Is there a Ghost here?"
- "What is your location?"
The ghost will give you two types of responses, depending on if you are within 4 meters of the ghost and if it is in the same room as you, or an adjacent room.
Within 3 meters:
- "I'm here"
- "I'm close"
- "(I'm) behind you"
- "Next to you"
In the same room but more than 3 meters away:
Note: The ghost model used and the age are both randomized, and are not correlated to each other.
- "How old are you?"
- "How young are you?"
- "What is your age?"
- "When were you born?"
- "Are you a child?"
- "Are you old?"
- "Are you young?"
Due to the nature of the game's voice recognition, sentences that are partially recognised may be interpreted as a full question, even if it is one that the game would otherwise not answer, including silly ones. Use of silly questions for the Spirit Box is less reliable; conventional questions have a higher chance of working.
- "Are you French?"
- "Are you hungry?"
- "What do you want to eat?"
- "Do you want to build a snowman?"
- "Do you want to watch Spongebob?"
- "Are you Casper?"
- "Are you bored?"
|D.O.T.S Projector • EMF Level 5 • Fingerprints • Freezing Temperatures • Ghost Orb • Ghost Writing • Spirit Box|